The fall and winter months are known for festive holidays with home cooked meals, quality time with friends and family and snuggling up in a blanket in front of a fireplace. Unfortunately, the colder months also come with an increase in fire hazards, as an increase in heating equipment and cooking devices are used. In this article, we’re going to cover common fall and winter fire hazards, as a reminder to be extra careful during the holiday season.
While your furnace is incredibly valuable during the winter months, a faulty or unmaintained furnace is also the most likely cause of a house fire. When not used or maintained properly, a furnace can actually cause an array of dangerous and even fatal problems to the home and its residents. This is why hiring a professional to regularly inspect your furnace is not only responsible, but necessary.
Fireline explains why it may not be enough to check your furnace yourself, if you’re not a professional:
We all know the obvious reason why candles are a fire hazard, being that they’re literally, well, fire. The fall and winter season bring with them a huge increase in the use of candles due to their ambiance inducing qualities. Unfortunately, this also brings an increase in candle-related fire safety incidents as well.
ServiceMaster Restore gives us more tips on about how to prevent candles from becoming a serious fire hazard:
“Candles are popular over the holidays for their charming glow and lovely aromas. Unfortunately, candle fires spike over the holidays, especially on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day. During this time, up to 25 candle fires are reported each day.
An open flame, no matter how small, is not something to take lightly. When using candles during the holiday candles, follow these safety tips:
Keep candles at least 12 inches away from any flammable objects.
Try not to use candles in the bedroom, where they may be forgotten if you fall asleep.
Do not leave small children or pets alone in a room with a lit candle.
Blow out candles every time you leave the room.”
The colder weather not only brings a slew of major holidays, but it also prompts an increase of cooking in general. This makes kitchen-related fire incidents more of a risk than usual, with home owners cooking large meals in their homes more than usual.
Canada Safety Council gives their tips on being extra cautious in the kitchen during the winter months:
“Stay in the kitchen when cooking, especially when using grease or when cooking food at high temperatures. If a grease fire starts, never try to put it out with water. If possible, cover the pan with a lid to smother the flames; use baking soda on shallow grease fires. If you can’t control the fire immediately, get yourself and your family out fast, and call 9-1-1.”
Fire-Alert takes pride in equipping homeowners with all necessary fire safety devices to ensure the well-being of families across the nation. Contact us using our contact form to find out more.